1/24/2012

HYPER-FLEX STRETCHY STRING Review

HYPER-FLEX STRETCHY STRING
Average Reviews:

(More customer reviews)
I have only two complaints about this toy:
1. I can't put it down
2. I want to buy more
To say these are stretchy is a gross understatement. I held one of these in the middle with my toe, and stretched both ends to a bit past my head, and I'm 5'5", so the 12" string really does stretch to well over 10', probably over 11' (I stretched it at least 10'11", probably at least 11', with probably close to an inch under my toe, unstretched), so this stuff stretches to well over 10 times (at least 11 times!) its original size. And it still springs back to its original size! The strings come in packs of two, and I've only stretched one of them, and the one I've stretched is less than half an inch longer than the one I haven't touched (but I didn't compare them before I stretched the green one, so I stretched the orange one too to test, and unstretched it's still a bit less than half an inch shorter than the green one, so it's quite just random variation in the length of the strings, rather than the effect of stretching.
Because these strings are so stretchy, they seem to be very difficult to break. I imagine that cutting through them with a knife or scissors would probably do it, but short of being cut with a sharp object in such a way that the other side of the string was held in place so it can't just stretch (I just tested it, and if I just press on the string with scissors blade without the opposite side of the string against the other half of the scissors or any other solid object, the string just stretches and no damage is done!), these seem to be pretty indestructible. I've found it's hard to tie a tight knot in these (knots actually work fine, but they're generally lose enough to untie easily), but last night I did manage to somehow make a know that was hard to get out (I think I tied it with the string completely stretched in that section), and I ended up using a pen to untie it. Anyway, as I expected, it took a few tries to get the pen cleanly between the appropriate parts of the knot so I could loosen it, and at one point the tip of the pen emerged with a layer of green plastic over it, which I thought for sure would produce a whole in the string, but when I finally got the string untied, it was completely intact, with absolutely no evidence that it had just been repeatedly stabbed with a pen!
Even though this is just a single string of this material, I've found there are plenty of things to do with it, and it's actually quite effective for keeping my hands busy (I have ADHD, and fidget constant, but don't have the patience for things like knitting, so I play with little manipulative toys a lot). I'd like to see the same material in a circular shape though (not the kind with tentacles like on inside-out balls -- something like these strings, just with the ends joined to make a circle) because it's fairly easy to let part of it slip out of my hand so it snaps (like releasing a stretched rubber band), and I can imagine it flying out of my hands during a meeting or class, and I find circular toys are generally easier to hold onto. Also, unless you have a 10-12' arm span, it's hard to stretch it to it's full length without help from a friend to hold the other end, and a circular version would be a lot easier to wrap around a piece of furniture or a foot to stretch it beyond what your arm span will allow and without having to hold both ends (for example, I'd love to be able to put one "end" under my foot like I've done and pull on only one other "end" or stick the opposite side of the circle over my shoulders or such).
I wouldn't recommend this for young children though, at least without careful supervision, because I've found that one of my first impulses is to wrap the string around my wrist or neck while it's stretched. As an adult (more or less), I have enough sense not to wrap it around my wrist too tightly or leave it too long if it's cutting off circulation and (so far, at least) have been able to resist the impulse to wrap it around my my neck (which I swear is not an impulse to harm, it just seems like a way to hold it in place to stretch it further), I'd worry that a young child might hurt themselves by doing these things. I also find that it's tempting to put the string in my mouth because of the interesting, and probably chewy, texture (but then, I have the same reaction to Silly Putty, so maybe it's just me), and while the whole string is probably too big to choke on, it's probably possible to bite off a piece, so I wouldn't recommend it (without close supervision) for children who are still at an age where they tend to put things in their mouths, because if I think it would be fun to chew on (and no, I don't chew on everything -- it's just this and Silly Putty that I have that reaction to, and I know with Silly Putty it's because it feels like particularly soft and non-sticky chewing gum) little kids that still put most toys in their mouths would probably be really likely to want to chew this.

Click Here to see more reviews about: HYPER-FLEX STRETCHY STRING

Two 12" strands in one package, each one will stretch out to 10' in length. Tie them together, and you can stretch them up to 20'. The softness says it all. and the stretch is record breaking. Assorted colors. Warning Choking Hazard! Contains small parts,

Buy Now

Click here for more information about HYPER-FLEX STRETCHY STRING

No comments:

Post a Comment