Average Reviews:
(More customer reviews)Over the past two years I have used several different brands of magnetic spheres. Some were cheap and some were par for the course on price. Some were what I considered name brands (based on their marketing efforts) and some were non-name brands. With my use of these products over the last two years I have found that Zen Magnets have by far the best quality and highest usability of all the brands. Here are the facts based on what I have experienced with Zen Magnets vs. other brands with respect to the actual product, the packaging, and the accessories included in the packaging.
Status Quo (similarities I found between all brands and Zen Magnets):
-Zen Magnets are 5mm in mean diameter (seems to be an industry standard now)
-Zen Magnets (a full set of 216) weigh the same as other common name brands (3.7 oz)
-Zen Magnets are solid neodymium with a nickel finish (similar to the primary products of other brands)
-Zen Magnets come with a high quality velvet carrying case (similar to other brands, although case type differs brand to brand)
-Zen Magnets come with an instruction manual/how to pamphlet (similar to other brands)
Above and beyond with the Zen Set (what I found different with Zen Magnets):
-Zen Magnets come with 6 spare magnets in case you lose a few (unlike other brands who make you buy extras in quantities of 10 or 20 if you misplace even a single magnet)
-Zen Magnets come in an Eco friendly MDF disposable retail package (unlike other brands that come in a non-biodegradable plastic package)
-Zen Magnets come with several high quality accessories including a stainless steel display platform, a polishing cloth, and a PVC card (unlike other brands that don't offer such accessories)
-Zen Magnets have a mirror finish (unlike some other brands that have bumpy and deformed finishes)
-Zen Magnets are highly magnetic; you can support a complete chain of 216 by holding the top magnet (unlike some other brands where the chain will break under the weight of the magnets prior to attaching all 216 magnets together)
-Zen Magnets are extremely durable (unlike some other brands where the nickel coating flaked off onto my fingers within the first day or so of use)
-Zen Magnets are consistent pack to pack (unlike some other brands that have differences in their magnets lot to lot)
My two bits:
Since I have used several brands of magnetic spheres I have seen it all when it comes to quality, strength, and durability. I have seen chipping, low magnetism, flaws in the shape, and incompatibility set to set. However, after using Zen Magnets for over 3 months I saw none of that. In fact a set I had bought around thanksgiving integrated perfectly with a set I just recently bought. Furthermore, the finish and shape of Zen Magnets is, dare I say it, flawless. Each and every piece is a perfect mirror sphere. With respect to use, I have not had any problems making any shape. I cannot say the same for other brands. With some other brands the balls don't line up quite right (either due to imperfections in the shape or differences in magnetic force sphere to sphere) and the shapes seem to just repel no matter how I try and manipulate the spheres. To date I have not had this problem with my Zen Magnets. Finally, the accessories that come with the Zen Set are high quality and useful in both creating shapes quickly and efficiently and showing off your art to others.
Bottom line - I highly recommend Zen Magnets and the Zen Set!
Click Here to see more reviews about: Zen Magnets - The Zen Set: 216 Super Premium Zen Magnet Spheres.
Zen Magnets are small but incredibly strong rare earth magnets (Neodymium n38), 5mm in diameter, mirror polished. Not sure which brand of Magnet Spheres to buy? We may be the only ones to recommend that you buy multiple brands, see yourself, and return the junk. The Gift Packed Zen Set includes everything the Original Zen Set does, but also: A Laser etched stainless steel building platform, a delicately prismatic microfiber cleaning cloth and a brimful guide of magnet sphere methods. All in an inviting, yet disposable, MDF hard case. Aesthetic inspiration a plenty. 216 seems to be just the right number of them, such simple geometric salience comes no sweeter than six cubed. The Zen set is the perfect balance between portability and potential, between manageability and latent intricacy. Each magnet is strong enough to support the weight of the whole set. The Zen Set will always fit in a pocket, but is always ready to be taken out to play. A chain can be wrapped and rolled into sheets and rings. Sheets and rings can be connected and compounded to basic particles: polyhedrons, polygons, and even more complex 2D sheets. Stir some originality into the blend, mix in some creativity, saturate with spatial awareness and tactile technique, and add a dash of inspiration. What you end up with will never fail to surprise you and impress others. The 2D world deserves some attention too: there are millions of unique snowflake patterns, and Zen magnets are terrific for refrigerator art. As a good habit, compose back into a 6 layer hexagon for storage. The poles will mostly cancel and potential for magnetic interference is minimal. This way credit cards and harddrives will be safe in the same pocket. Not that organization requires an excuse. As a chain of chromed magnetic beads, 216 Zen Magnets will measure over a meter long, and routinely attract more compliments than their precious competitors in the realm of self adornment. A meaningful gift leaves an impression.
No comments:
Post a Comment